Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Mall Culture

So in the past few years I've grown a true appreciation for none other than the great American Mall. Well, it's not so much the merchandise. I mean, don't get me wrong, I LOVE TO SHOP!!! especially with a hangover. But what malls mostly have to offer nowadays is absolute shit to me at this point. WHat I love is the deco/'50sish architecture, the indoor palms, the fountains, the mint piss green sparkles, the glitz and glamour! I love me in middle school going to the mall every weekend, shopping at Contempo Casuals, buying what ever crap I could get my hands on and slowly training myself to become the ultimate consumer that I am today. I love what's become of it all. Dead Malls: ghost towns, carcasses of what use to house Lisa Turtles eating french fries with tacky manicures. Beautiful. I was pleasantly surprised to discover recently that others are just as excited as I am by all this and explore it in great depth on the world wide web.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



An entire website devoted to Dead Malls: http://www.deadmalls.com/

An entire blog devoted to shopping malls of the '50s, '60s, and '70s: http://mallsofamerica.blogspot.com/



Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure


Dawn of the Fast Times at Lakehurst Mall of The Dead Part 2

1 comment:

Joana said...

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. The Warwick Mall is the only dead mall I think I've been to. I went with Arthur to the Toy Chest to get some Anime figurines when it was raining one day. It was weird how some stores, like the SIlver Dragon were still operational, (inside hermit larpers were buying phaeries and fake Chinese talismans). But the part I remember most was that vacant manicure salon on the upper level. A good place for a tumbleweave, no doubt! It was dark inside, but I could still make out some toppled over Memphis Group style furniture. It looked like it had been left in a hurry.

ps. VACANT WEENIE FRYERS

previous Next
facespaceflickrvimeo1 copy